The Santa Barbara County Fire Department Fallen Firefighter Memorial is located at the entrance to the Fire Department Headquarters, 4410 Cathedral Oaks Road in Santa Barbara. The center piece of the memorial is a larger than life bronze statue of a firefighter clutching a hose-line and calling for water.
The statue, “Charge the Line” was sculpted by retired Santa Barbara County Fire Chief Richard R. Peterson in 1998 as part of the construction project for the new Fire Station 12. The statue was relocated to its present location to become part of the memorial. A bronze plaque holds the names of the eight Santa Barbara County firefighters who have died in the line of duty since the department’s inception in 1926. The memorial, done in traditional Santa Barbara architectural style, offers a sitting wall overlooking the statue, plaque, and American flag. The rugged Santa Ynez Mountains serve as a dramatic backdrop.
Funding for the Memorial was provided by the Santa Barbara County Firefighters Benevolent Foundation and a donation from the Edgecomb Foundation. After 10 years of planning, the memorial was completed and dedicated on March 31, 2012. Over 50 uniformed firefighters marched behind a full pipe and drum band commencing the ceremony. Families of the fallen and dignitaries were in attendance.
The Fallen Firefighter Memorial is open to the public and serves as a place to pay respect for the firefighters who have made the ultimate sacrifice for the citizens of Santa Barbara County. The memorial site will also host future fire department events and important ceremonies.